Monday, July 25, 2011

Kindle Prices Are Pissing Me Off

That's right. I have had it.
As a writer, of course I want to support my fellow artists, but not when the price of the book is sometimes DOUBLE what the paperback or hardcover costs.
I get that publishers fear the e-book and still have no idea what to do about it. They remind me of those that hate Netflix, Pandora, Spotify and various other similar business models. And yes, this is a collective tongue lashing aimed at the Music, Movie/TV and Publishing industries.
Instead of embracing the waves of the future and working with the consumer, they have decided to punish us instead for using new technology and charge A LOT for items that do not warrant the high price tag.
I was on the blog NY Spender to read a review of a book called "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster" by Dana Thomas. The author of the blog stated the book cost a mere $5.69 and I headed on over to Amazon to download it. My mistake. The paperback is $5.69. The Kindle version? $12.99. (See here.) WHAT THE HELL???
So here is where the publisher and even the author loses. I will order it from the library and now I will get it for free. This burns my ass because every single time I want to get a book, it costs more then me running to a book store which I find absurd. No wonder people are self publishing more and more. Charge $5 and the author gets most of the revenue. Charge $15 and I imagine the publisher and agent get more then the author. Advances exist, but they are not all in the hundreds of thousands of dollars or even the millions. Some are just a mere ten grand. Nothing to sneeze at, but is sure not in the realm of what John Grisham or Jodi Picoult can rake in with their work.
How can a new author gain traction when the publisher is pricing the book like it is 2005 when people had much more disposable income then they do now? Okay, I admit this a personal preference. I do not have a ton of extra cash to spend on every book I want to read, but $5 is a lot easier to spend then $13 or $15.
I am not sure if publishers will ever come down in price, but I am certain there are folks out there that will upload, ie: pirate, just like many have for movies and music. Publishers could price books in a range where it could help prevent a lot of that. I know there will always be a place for illegal uploads of all kinds, but if publishers would work with what the current consumer can and will pay, they may win a little more loyalty instead of anger and resentment.

Cheers!
MissFifi

1 comment:

  1. Thats crazy. I love my Kindle but am just starting to see this weird pricing on occasion. I buy a lot of horror fiction and that seems to go for reasonable prices (even the big names like Jack Ketchum rarely top 10 bucks)and I also occasionally find a real deal like Martin Gram's 50 dollar TWILIGHT ZONE doorstop of a book for $10. I like the Kindle for the free classics and I like checking out the self-published authors as well, but any charge OVER the cost of a actual hardcover or paperback is ludicrous.

    ReplyDelete