Monday, May 9, 2011

King Corn Documentary

I am one of those folks who believes that some in the food industry does not have my best interest at heart. I also believe that certain additives will eventually, some may already have, yield destruction to our cells in our body making us more susceptible to disease or even be a cause of disease. The information is out there if you want it and if you do not care you do not have to know. I like that about individual free choice. I can choose not to eat McDonald's, which I don't, and try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and other dyes in my food. Other folks live for processed foods and you know what? That is alright. That is their choice, not mine. I do not believe we have the right to tell people how to eat. I believe we have a responsibility for full disclosure and then you let people make those choices. You want to eat crap, you can eat crap. You want to eat healthy, eat healthy. One thing I do not agree with is with people suing food companies. You should know what you are putting in your mouth and that is your responsibility entirely. If a manufacturer lies about their ingredients that is one thing, it is another to shove Doritos and Pepsi in your mouth every day and not exercise and then blame the tv and the cheap unhealthy food.
This is where food education in the schools would be very beneficial. Diabetes education is also very crucial because we need to understand some causes and effects of what we do when we eat. But at the end of the day it is our own choice.
KING CORN is a well put together, interesting documentary where two young men from Boston move to Iowa to grow corn and find out where that crop goes. When you find out how much corn you eat on a daily basis it blows your mind. It also blew my mind how farmer's had to sort of conform to growing this low quality corn for mass distribution. Animal feed, high fructose corn syrup, etc. And the government helps fund this insanity.
Enjoy.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment