Skip to main content

Funky Friday

I have become obsessed with 'Hoarders'. I am on season 3 and absolutely cannot stop watching. I do not watch it and think, "Hey, I am better than these folks." I watch it and cringe in horror at human feces lining stairs, dead animals, dust that is causing children's asthma. I watch it wondering what clicks in some brains to make them shut down to the filth and degradation surrounding them. Some are obvious. A major trauma, depression. Other cases it is clear there is a mental illness, but which one I have no idea. What is upsetting is seeing posters on boards about this show saying these people are all "lazy, obese and stupid." Apparently watching the show has not taught them anything in regards to mental illness. This concerns me. Mental Illness is serious and it manifests in many different ways. Hoarding is one of them. To write it off as just laziness is an easy way to excuse one's moral obligation to give a damn. It is way more complex and frustrating than that.
Here is my opportunity to sound heartless. They cost taxpayers a lot of money what with court costs, social workers, animal control, etc. I sure as hell do not want to foot that bill, but you cannot force people to do things if they do not perceive an issue. I admit I freak out when they refuse therapy and are adamant about they have the right to live as they want, but I beg to differ. When Hazmat is at your house along with the health department, you no longer get a say. You are putting others at risk and for all my freedom of choice talk, I do not want roaches or rats in my home. I do want these folks to get help if only for the sake of their families.
This is not an easy show to sit through, but I recommend it because it does give one some insight on what it is like dealing with a debilitating mental illness that has no outward appearance.


Mike Rowe asks Congress to support more "Dirty Jobs" I am a big believer in education. At every level, which includes blue collar work. Blue Collar is looked down upon by most people. Like it is dirty and for remedial folks who could not cut it in college. Offensive view, but it exists. We need plumbers, electricians and carpenters and his speech is all about encouraging skilled positions in trades, transportation and utilities. Not that he is against one wanting to be a financier, teacher, doctor, but how we also need those who do with their hands. Skilled laborers are a necessity and he words it all beautifully.

Writing has been going bad. There I said it. I am a little frustrated with myself and wish I could make the process go faster, but I can't. I do have a sort of mental deadline to get certain things done and in a way that has relieved some of the crappiness I feel. Once I am done editing this book it is back to the Angels I go and to be honest, I can't wait. I have been distracted, with good reason, but I need to get back on track. So after I switch out the laundry, I am off to edit and clean it up quicker so momma can move forward and get this show on the road.

Have a wonderful, Rapture-free weekend.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

  1. I chose to become a steel worker out of high school. Personally, I could never be happy working in an office and I knew this at a young age. The pay, benefits, pension are all great and I have fun all day. Physically, it's demanding and one can be easily injured or killed, but at the same time, the job keeps you in great shape. As well as relieving stress, having a physical job balances the mental concentration needed to write.

    So there. I guess I do have it pretty good. Happy Rapture-free weekend to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that physical work helps with balance and you are very fortunate to have found that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love this show...makes me get up and clean my bathroom every time :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …