Monday, May 2, 2011

Emergency Preparedness



I am not a Survivalist. People who follow that way of life are pretty organized and well thought out. In some cases, people would call them nuts, but I figure as long as they do not hurt anyone, I don't mind them at all. I have read some blogs that blow my mind, but again, it was nothing scary or apocalyptic to make me feel unsafe.
Mormons could be considered 'survivalists' due to their emergency preparedness. Thanks to a friend who is a practitioner of this faith, I was introduced to a company called "Emergency Preparedness" out in Orem, Utah. Why would I need them? They sell Mylar bags for food storage and that is what I use to keep my flour in my plastic buckets. Of course they also have neat stuff like dehydrated foods and emergency car kits. Mormons are encourages to build their savings, to have food storage just in case tragedy or disaster strikes. Our friend told me that the food they had canned had gotten them through a rough period at one point.
Now, I have not really become a canner. I like the idea, but I would most likely, regardless of how carefully I follow directions, be the idiot who does something wrong and my food spoils. Maybe one day soon I will gather the courage to really give it a shot. In the meantime I just set up my garden and am thinking of freezing leftover vegggies for now.
I have also thought of being better prepared since the tornadoes happened in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Mississippi. We had a few random black outs in our area last summer and we wanted to get a generator, but they sold out because it happened more then once. I also realize I need to get some gallon jugs of water and keep them in the basement. Little things, but crucial things.
I am not sure many people worry about things like this. Most of us go about our lives figuring stuff will just be there or if not, then so what? don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be all sorts of Doomsday or believe that the end of the world is May 21. That stuff makes me bonkers. I just think it is good to have some necessary items in case some serious crap does go down. We have had a wind up emergency radio with flashlight for years. That is because when we were still living in Essex County, there had been a black out that effected us for two days and other parts of the county for longer. I did not mind not having power, but it did freak some folks out. The only thing I hated was you could not open your fridge. Our landlord had just done about $15o worth of grocery shopping and then the food spoiled. Not good. Anyway, I just look at all of this as food for thought. You can choose to do some of it, none of it or all of it. As Auntie Mame said, "Knowledge is Power."

Curious about Survivalists or LDS? I have listed some blogs you can check out below. I have not done a thorough reading of all of them, but you can browse at your leisure.






I am sure there are quite a few I am missing, but I am sure you can do your own search and see what interests you.

Cheers!
MissFiFi

No comments:

Post a Comment