Skip to main content

Roses and Rum Punch

Ever since I have hit a very funky, weird and despondent mood, I have been thinking about planting roses. I was warned off of them by a friend and fellow gardener who promised that those beautiful flowers will bring pestilence, disease and destroy all others surrounding them. Did I really want to commit to the upkeep of something that potentially could just wilt away? Or would I rather stick to flowers that were hardly any trouble at all? Decent points really, but then another friends suggested roses saying how they make a garden look elegant and grand and that there are many disease resistant varieties out there now.
The truth is, I love roses. Not for weddings or Valentine's Day, but rose bushes and roses that trellis. Roses that remind my of my grandmother and where I grew up in New Jersey. What I have noticed is that when you look at most landscaped homes or garden, there is very rarely roses. They are not just the quintessential English garden flower to me, they represent why people had enormous gardens in the first place. I would love a vast rose garden, vast in my world is like 6 x 6, but let us not forget...deer.

I love watching the deer stroll through my yard and drink from my bird bath. I do not enjoy noticing that one or all of the fawns nibbled my sage plant. I think I should place a sign in that area that reads "Welcome to my yard. My sage, thyme, oregano and lavender are supposedly not to your liking." These youngsters act as if they have never all the books and posts on deer resistant plants. Little hooligans. It seems roses are like a Chinese Buffet to deer and I am not looking to serve the best meal in town. If I want roses, I must protect them with a fence and companion plants.

When I did research on Rutgers Co-op extension site, I discovered the lovely Rose Campion.


I will be growing this since a sea of these would make me smile every day. Of course I have no idea where and since the deer are none to fond of it, but I know better and brace myself, I should be safe. At least, I hope I am. More research needs to be done, but if I plunge forward, I hope to document with photos as well.


Elmore Leonard is a revered writer among those who want to be King of Novels. I only ever read a short story of his then a good friend recommended I read Rum Punch. Today I went to the library and picked up the book. The opening line hooked me and now I live to hole up somewhere and enjoy.
As a writer, there is nothing more on point and terrifying then his Ten Rules of Writing. Now, no one is saying every one should do what Mr. Leonard does, BUT I wish to hell some romance writers would take heed of a few of these. I enjoy a good romance, but over description is the name of the game in those books. Characters are described down to the last birth mark and the worst is that it is usually done more then once. I have no idea if the writer thinks most readers have no memory or is it just that they really enjoying rehashing the tightness of Thor's buttocks and rippling abs. How may times must I be reminded what a strapping hulk of sensual the Hero looks like? Far be it for me to leave out Madame Heroine, for she is the most beautiful, but cannot find love, woman in the world. Gag me with a spoon.
I realize I am just not the perfect audience for certain genres, especially some romance novels. To be clear, Bet Me was one of the best, partly realistic romances I have ever read. I know romance is about fantasy, but sometimes it is too fantastical and so phoned in that I have a hemorrhage.
Well, enough of that, Elmore, here I come.

Cheers!
MissFifi




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…