Monday, February 7, 2011

Holiday in Death by J.D.Robb

Well, this is it, my last one. I made it to book seven, Holiday In Death, which is pretty good and I may pick up book eight at some point, but don't hold your breath.
Why should it matter to me if "sculpture" is used to describe the profession instead of the correct word, "sculptor"? Why should I care if main character Eve Dallas chides Peabody for dating a suspect, when she did the exact same thing in the first book, then married him? Why do I care if within five pages every single character is "jamming their hands into their pockets"? Why? Why can't I just read the damn books for pleasure and not be bothered by misses on the editor and author's part? Why? Because I am a cad, a snob and someone who wants to read a story and not get tripped up by nonsensical bullshit like I mentioned. Things like that should not make me do a double take half way through a book. But they do. What does surprise me is the amount of praise these books get, yes I am going to speak plainly here and piss people off. Reviews claim these "mysteries" to be intense and brilliant and fans think it is the best writing in the world.
Uhhh, no.
Look, there is room for all types of novels, good and bad, but I am sick and tired of reading more bad then good. Why the hell can't a strong female character just be strong without some hideous horrors of the past? Can't she just be a cop because she wanted to? Why does she have to be a bumbling idiot who cannot fire a gun, yet can maintain her job as a bounty hunter? There has got to be a series out there with a strong protagonist who does not need deep, dark secrets and can wear mascara and take out a criminal. Why is it one or the other with these authors? Authors who happen to be women no less. You wield a pen and have the power to create and yet you give me the same freakin' drivel heaped out over the decades. I do not want the romance to be the main part of the story either. Why can't it just happen? Have it as back story or something that just happens because that is how life happens. Yes, there is romance in my book, but dammit, it is not the most crucial part and it is not all that makes up my character. Christ, if I had her fight him every step of the way like Eve fights Roarke, she would be killed by my own hand. I would love to shake Eve and say "You married a billionaire who loves you, get over it and live your life and continue to be a good cop". Instead we go through every book with her still adjusting to his wealth and love of her. He admires her courage, her strength, her just breathing and always has to tell her she is his "only". What is this? High school?
Sad that I let a book bother me so much, but dammit, when you are in the same profession, you want the standards met and exceeded. I challenge myself to be better every time I type. No, I do not succeed and who is to say I will ever make it to print, but dammit, I want better material out there. I want authors to mess with my head when it is a mystery, not let me figure it out in twenty five pages or less.
Well, that is it, I just had to get that off my chest. Sorry Nora, you have others who love you and will love book 40, so I doubt my opinion matters to you. If I can make a small request though, please, proof read your writing better okay? I am sure someone else is annoyed by these little mistakes. Not as much as me, but trust me, Amazon reviews are helpful and telling. Read them The 3 stars and less. Not the 4 and 5, that will just keep you complacent.

Now I will get back to reading "Wonder Boys" by Michael Chabon. Rock on.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment