Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I read and read and read and I do get somewhere

Right now I am enthralled with a short story anthology called McSweeny's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales. It was edited by Michael Chabon, who's own work I have never really gotten into, but my husband loves. The stories are driven by action and plot. Most of the reviews hated the book, so far I like it. I am not one who enjoys ambiguous story telling as if it is just a fragment of a story, the author smirking as they hold back much detail. Nothing worse then reading a short story and then being pissed off because somehow you missed the deep, dark insight given by the exalted author. Yes, I do get bitchy.
One of the things I was most excited about was being able to read an Elmore Leonard story. I have never read any of his books and have been wanting to check out his writing style for sometime. I like it. He is bare bones all the way. Not an easy thing to do I think because people enjoy details. Some authors enjoy over detailing to the point where you want to kill yourself. I have had this happen in some romance works along with the Anita Blake series. I do not need a catalog description of outfits just tell me how they are going to kill the vampire. We all know how I feel about dialogue that repeats itself to the point that I wonder how dense the character is even after her hero has written "I love you" in his own plasma.
There is a sort of gift in being able to convey a feeling, an emotion without having to put in the descriptive note before or after the dialogue. These are my own struggles. As I continue to edit the bounty hunter story, which has an official title now, I catch these blunders and hope my decisions pay off. Reading someone like Elmore Leonard truly helps. I am at the Neil Gaiman story now, we all know I will love it since his skills are the ones I want the most, and I look forward to reading the whole book. I was thinking of attempting a romance anthology next, though some I have flipped through have the typical wardrobe descriptions and baby makes three endings.
Here is an anthology I really want to buy though. Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love. There are authors I love in it and ones I have really wanted to read. Once I get my grubby paws on it feedback will ensue.

Cheers!
MissFifi


No comments:

Post a Comment