Sunday, October 17, 2010

Busy Bees Who Read


What a week and weekend.
Birthdays, business trips, house sitting, a paid massage clinic all good stuff, but WOW! I need more hours in a day. Like thirty four. This week is shaping up to even more insane. Not that it is a bad thing, but I will be doing a lot of running around while fitting in the gym, writing and normal household errands. I also need to print out coupons for some shopping I have to do and also look into some house stuff. Good times.
Truth be told, I need a vacation. A warm place where I have to do nothing but raise my hand and have a drink placed in it. Is that wrong? I did not think so. Close friends of ours in California reminded us we have not seen one another for seven years. Sad but true. I would love to visit them right now. A change of scenery is necessary for everyone, especially me, but there are a few road blocks. Flights are not cheap, renting a car is not cheap, we can do our best to plan to have spending money but that does not always pan out and the big one, no one to watch our pets, especially our handicapped dog. I have been trying to find dog sitters that could handle her, but she is not the only issue. Our one cat is on serious medications so while we could let her slide a day or two, five days or a week is not possible. My husband and I have begun the practice of "Why don't you go?" If both of us cannot afford to travel, well, one of us can. This is his best friend, he really should go see him. Yes I would like to go, but it really is a touch difficult. Compromise is not an awful thing and if it came down to it, I would want my hubby to go. I can always go next time. :)
At least I have time to read, sort of...
I finished "The Laughing Corpse" the second book in the Anita Blake series in two days. I do like the story concept even though I am not normally a huge fan of series books. One of the issues I am having is with some of the writing. There were a a few times where I could tell the author found a word she really liked and used it as much as possible in her descriptions. Nothing annoys me more then reading a description such as "Tombstones stood like sentinels" and a half page later read "He stood, looming like a sentinel." Granted I am not a published author so who the hell do I think I am critiquing her, but it stood out like a neon light to me every time.
My husband read Andre Agassi's autobiography "Open" which he thoroughly enjoyed. He could not stop raving about it. No I did not read it because I have a few books going, but I swear I will add it to my list and get to it sometime this millennium.


Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment