Skip to main content

Radical...a little too much yes.

I have been reading the book Radical by David Platt, a pastor of The Church at Brook Hills. The reason I got it was because his interview on NPR was very interesting. Of course, now that I am reading it, not so interesting.
First off, I was raised Catholic went to Catholic school, Catholic camp the whole nine yards. I left Catholic school my freshmen year and went to public school. That was a gift. My mother taught me that people have to atone for their own sins, that you should thank God for every day you are given and priests are not "hotlines" to God. The priest at my Catholic school said this in Mass one day and I thought she was going to pitch a fit. All that being said, I believe that everyone has the right to practice their faith how they choose. Muslim, Jewish, Protestant, etc. You believe in God? Go with him then.
What I dislike about certain faiths is mostly what this book's message is. If you do not accept Jesus Christ as your Savior you are pretty much damned.

Ummm, how about no?

I have enjoyed reading his views on doing missionary work, preaching the gospel and gathering disciples. Yes it is in the footsteps of Jesus, but thinking that other faiths have it wrong and are all damned? One church was praying for the people in London who go to "Anglican churches." That is touchy for me. Why? Because some faiths have been around longer than others and people should have the right to worship how they believe.
The few friends I have that are "born again", except for this one woman who I fully believe is a true gift from God with her compassion and love, have pretty much tried to justify their thoughts on this by saying "I just want to walk in life with Christ." Great, but do not tread on others while doing so please.
I was on a website of a contemporary Christian church. What that means is the pastors are tattooed, hip, there is live rock music and they love Jesus. What is also means is they disguise their hardcore fundamentalism under the guise of "Walking with Jesus Christ". One of the Biblical Womanhood sessions was about Gluttony. The leader of this session was the wife of one of the pastors. She talked about how she chose food over God and she had to repent for being such a sinner. I nearly fell off my chair. There was no addressing if it was an eating disorder or where her gluttony stemmed from. She just needed "to open her heart to God". What was fascinating listening was how she broke down and really believed she had committed this heinous sin. The church has a touch of Calvinism to it and I am not a fan of that, but hey, to each their own.
Another pastor at the same church discussed his sins and what a lost life he lead until he found Jesus. Now he was saved and wanted to spread the Word. While that may seem harmless, what is not harmless is the sudden fire and brimstone attitude he gave off because he was saved and the rest of us are living in sin.
This is where religion is dangerous. This is where it is not accepting and not loving. I do believe in Jesus Christ, God and the Holy Spirit and I chose to worship in my own way. If you think that damns me fine, but only God can judge and last I checked, these folks are not God.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …