Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Southern Food

I was born, raised and live in New Jersey. I am mostly of Italian descent with a dash of Lithuanian and I am a pescetarian. With that being said, I am a huge, huge fan of Southern food.
We were watching Anthony Bourdain in New Orleans last night, two years after Katrina mind you, and it was fabulous. I loved New Orleans when I visited in 1999 and I would go back again. The food was fantastic and no, you do not need to be a meat eater to enjoy New Orleans. There is a wonderful food culture there along with the rest of the South. I could eat Collard Greens, sans the ham hock, black eyed peas and many many more dishes. Cafe' Reconcile was featured on the Anthony Bourdain episode and they had a white beans and shrimp dish that made me drool. I made a shrimp po'boy once and have been asked to make it again by my beloved. Of course when I look for the recipe used I cannot find it so now I will have to try another one.
To be honest, I would love to eat my way through the following states: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi then back to Louisiana.
One of my favorite all time recipes out of the fabulous Southern Living is Southern Soda Bread. I make it every fall, winter and spring. It is divine and I highly recommend you make some.
With all the blueberries I have frozen from our picking trip in PA, I may make this salsa as it looks quite tasty.
I would like to cook some okra since I have a bizarre obsession with it, but not sure when or how I will attempt that. A good recipe is what I need to find so the hunt begins for that. Hmmmm...


Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment