Thursday, August 12, 2010

Questions I now have answers to

The inevitable questions that I am asked when folks find out I am writing are:

Q: How will you get published?
A: I have to find an agent. I have already researched some agencies and narrowed down a few agents that I will be sending query letters to after I get it just right.
Q:How much money will you make?
A: Do not know.
Q:Will you be famous like John Grisham?
A: Every writer would like to be famous like Mr. Grisham, chances of that happening are absurdly slim.

A multitude of thanks to the fabulous author Jennifer Crusie who put up a post on her blog called Six Myths About Publishing. Her honesty is refreshing and she lays it out for all of us inspiring writers with her usual wit. Incidentally, I have mentioned it before, but let me shout it again, Ms. Crusie wrote one of the best romance novels I have ever read: Bet Me. After reading her post I realize I will most likely need to get a day job, it is not like I have not been looking I have and applied to a few... come on, NO WHAMMIES! The bottom line for me is that I would just like to have a career in writing, telling stories, making people laugh and cry. Being a millionaire is not a requirement, making a living is and doing something I love is the most important.

This post will now be my reference for when anyone asks about the pay day of a novelist.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment