Sunday, July 11, 2010

Weeds


Behind my fabulous lilac bush, whose blooms died early this year due to the excessive heat, is a vast area of weeds. All kinds of weeds. We have pulled them by hand, sprayed vinegar on others, but it is quite the wilderness. Now, not being a fan of Monsanto or any other hardcore herbicide, I wanted to find a better yet just as lethal way of knocking out these things. We would like to plant there, just ornamental grasses and ground covers really, so it looks nice, but does not need hardcore maintaining. I came across a great article called The 7 Deadly Homemade Weed Killers and I figured I would post it since I am certain I am not
alone in this endeavor. Currently I have hot water on the stove and my vinegar is at the ready. After my tea I will be annihilating the little bastards that I have not been able to get rid of and then will lay landscape paper down until we purchase what we want for the area. The front yard is still in process as well, just like my writing HAHAHAHAHA, but it will all come together in due time.

Cheers!
MissFifi

2 comments:

  1. Here's my suggestion:
    Put a few layers of newspaper on the area, hold down the paper with rocks/bricks. In about 8 weeks the weeds will die and the area will be ready for planting right through the paper.
    Go forth and garden! :)

    ReplyDelete