Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Dreaded Synopsis


The time has come. Retrospect, a romance novel I have been working on for what feels like ten years, is complete.
I have decided I want to send it into Carina Press and hope they will agree to buy and publish it.
Now begins the process of writing the synopsis and query letter. Ugh!
While I was doing research on writing a synopsis the most common thread was that most writers hate having to write a one. It is a sales pitch and it is not always easy to sell oneself.
Everybody has different guidelines. Some publishers and some agents want just a one page synopsis, others ask for 2 to 5 pages.
This will be interesting because it is very my first one and I am terrified of mucking it up. Sure it is my story and I should not have a hard time condensing it, but it is nerve-racking nonetheless. So I will spend the rest of the afternoon, writing it out in the notebook I have designated for Retrospect and hope I can get it ready to go by end of the week. Wish me luck!

Here are some links for writing a synopsis:
How to Write a Synopsis by Marg Gilks
11 Basic Synopsis Tips by Kathy Carmichael
Synopsis Tips by Pam McCutcheon

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment