Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Thoughts about storytelling

I know it is almost Christmas and I admit I am not feeling it this year. Not really sure why. I feel like, while I had a very good year, 2010 will be much better. Of course, my feelings could just be hopeful or maybe I do have a sixth sense that I will finally flourish, I have no idea. Mostly I want to feel as if I have contributed during this life of mine somehow. We are all very fortunate to know the people we know, the people we no longer know and the people we still have to meet. Like it or not, people we hate or no longer speak to have helped make us the people we are along with those that have loved us and cheered for us. All the people that have flowed in and out of my life are responsible for the woman I now am. The best and worst traits of my family and friends have touched me and have imprinted themselves on me. I will always be grateful for this because without it, I am not sure if I would have had the courage to take on the monumental life change in choosing to be a story teller.

Going along with that, author Chimamanda Adichie gave a wonderful lecture about story telling and it is very powerful. She talks about the danger of a single story. Take people of my heritage for example. Italians. We have been completely regaled to two things in the world of movies and TV. You are either a mobster or a Guido. None of my family members fell under these titles, so I was always confused as to why that was all people thought I might be. I want to change that. I want to write about characters who just happen to have Italian heritage or Haitian heritage or Cajun heritage. Heritage is important, but it is not the only thing that should define us. We should be proud of who we are and where our ancestors came from, but we also have to make people understand we are not the stereotype shoved down our throats through the media.

Have a Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday with your loved ones and enjoy your traditions and pass them on. Out there somewhere someone wants to know about it.

Cheers!
MissFifi

No comments:

Post a Comment