Friday, December 4, 2009

Stephanie Plum no more

A few months ago I had the pleasure of discovering the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. The first one had me howling with laughter, so when I finished it, I was ready for more as I loved the concept behind it. I devoured the next one and the next one, slowly becoming annoyed by the ineptitude of the main character, but hung in there. I just finished reading "Eleven on Top" and that's it. I'm done. While I am a huge fan of fun, light reading, I am having a hard time sticking with a series where the main character, Stephanie, is not progressing one iota. For the love of God, how does she not know how to hold a gun by now? Her instincts have not improved at all and every ending is "deus ex machina". Just when it seems she may die or get maimed, WOOSH! here comes Ranger or Morelli. That is a whole other story line. A crooked love triangle between Stephanie and two attractive men, Ranger and Morelli. If I was one of these guys I would have had a kick to the curb session by now. Listen, I am not trying to imply all books should be on par with Pulitzer Prize winners, but there has to be some point where as you are filling in the formula you go, "Hmph, let's throw a surprise in here, show she understands how to use the stun gun now or let's not have her get thwarted the exact same way by an FTA again." So my dear Stephanie, it has been fun, but alas, I have moved on and will be digging into Raymond Carver's short stories compiled in "Where I'm Calling From" and "Love Stories for the Time Being" by Genie D. Chipps which are stories by 26 master writers.
If anyone has suggestions for some light, entertaining reading, please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers!
MissFiFi

No comments:

Post a Comment