Skip to main content

Romance Anyone?

What is it about Romance movies and novels that make us swoon? Is it the alluring, dark stranger? The clandestine meetings and glances when it is forbidden? The Handsome prince we want to whisk us off our feet? The beautiful woman who is so desperate for love she would move half way across the world for her desire? Is it the unrequited aching that we all relate to? Or is it just that we want to be taken back to some of these wonderful emotions we have had and can relate to? Probably a little bit of everything.
I have never been one to be all swoony. It seemed sort of silly to think there was a Prince Charming out there, though I was hopeful. Then when I was in high school, Sixteen Candles and the rest of the films like it showed me I was not the only one who thought I was too awkward, nerdy, silly and lovesick. For that, I would like to thank John Hughes, RIP, for reaching in and understanding some of us teenagers. As I got older, the Gothic soul in me preferred the "You will pine away and never win" vibe for a bit, but that got tired and I started to enjoy the troubled stories like "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest" instead. No romance for me, I had real intense emotions to deal with, no sulking over a missed kiss.

Then I saw "A Room with A View".
It fed my Anglophilia and I wanted to be Lucy Honeychurch with my own George Emerson. Hence this began my love for Romance Films and stories.

Joy, pain, sorrow, anguish, laughter, hate, tears and passion, are all-encompassing in a richly told romance. We all feel Heathcliff's desire for Cathy and hate and pity him when he turns into a monster. I'm sure most of us probably swooned when Rhett tells Scarlett "You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how." Then there is"An Affair to Remember" which needs no explanation, just a tissue. When Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood is told by Edward Ferrars that he is not married and she breaks down, we all cry in relief with her.
Perhaps it is these reactions we know we will have when the pivotal moment happens that keeps us coming back for more. The kiss, the struggle and tension, the reveal and the inevitable happy ever after that follows making it worth our while to sit and watch "The Notebook" or "From Here to Eternity" or "Bridget Jones's Diary" or "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall". No matter how happy we are in our relationships, we enjoy the tear jerker now and then. Rooting for love to conquer all...Now THAT is entertainment.

Cheers!
MissFiFi

Comments

  1. How funny that you write about romance movies today! Last night I watched Mogambo w/ Clark Gable, Ava Gardener, and Grace Kelly... Great picture if you haven't seen it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi