Skip to main content

Day of the Triffids or Day-o?


These charming plants live in our yard. It is actually next to a pear tree and in the area of where our cutting garden will be. In July, my friend Nancy came over and we tore out one of these was brown, dead, rotting. It had a root system that blew me away.
I weeded this weekend and decided to go back over there and clean out what had been left behind. This is I pulled out with a hoe, a shovel and my hands.


Massive, thick and unruly they are. I still have more to clear, but this is what the area looks like now.


After doing some research online, I think this may be a Yucca plant. There are two more in the yard. Actually, there's just one. I pulled one out the that was not faring well on another slope. An explanation as to why anyone would think to plant tropical foliage at random throughout the yard would be helpful. There is no rhyme or reason to their placement, it is as bad as the fruit trees, but that is another post. I am waiting to hear from our extension office, they owe me a reply, for help in figuring out what to do with certain trees and pruning and gardening.

In the meantime, here is one of the rhododendrons I am trying to make fatter and healthier. She is the less robust of the two.



We also have toads in out yard which makes me very happy, though I scared the hell out of one yesterday when i grabbed it thinking it was a rock. I decided to place him in a dark area that he would enjoy. Under the yucca plant.

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Bad Writing Abounds In Twilight Novels

I have never had the desire to read the "Twilight" series. What I knew about them sounded like a bad young adult novel and I could not be bothered. Besides, I read Anne Rice's Vampire Series years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that was enough vampire lore for me.I have a very good friend that loves "Twilight". One day I saw her book on the table, picked it up, read one page, threw the book down and said to my husband, "This is written like absolute crap!" And yet the books are best selling series and the author makes millions. Bless her heart. I hate dumbed down books and I really hate books written as if the author never took an English class. Oddly enough, Ms. Meyer was an English major, go figure. From what I have read in regards to the Twilight books and heard during conversations about the beloved series, I know that I do not like her main characters. They sound like people that would fall under Too Stupid Too Live for me. A vapid, needs to …