Skip to main content

Food, Inc. - The Movie


We went to see Food Inc last night.
I am still beside myself.
Not because I had no idea what went on the food industry, of course I did. As a vegetarian, one of my arguments with meat eaters has always been, "If I was one of you, I would be pissed off at how my food is raised and treated."
This movie lifts that veil and does it well enough that it reinforced my decision in being a vegetarian and angered me at the gross monopoly we have in the food industry as a whole.
Bottom line for all food conglomerates is money. Sure you say, they are a business. Yes, well, a business still should respect its costumer and you saw last night how most of them are blissfully detached from the customer, their workers and the animals themselves.
It was repugnant.
Smithfield Farms works with the INS to have some of its workers arrested after working there about ten years and have them sent back to whatever Latin America country they came from. As the Union Representative said, "Why is no one arresting the management?" Good question, but one that is left unanswered.
Monsanto, who are quite possibly Satan himself, sue farmers constantly for what Monsanto calls "patent infringement." Soybean farmers are not allowed to save their own seed to replant the next year because Monsanto has a monopoly on pesticides and GMO's. Thanks to Clarence Thomas and the Supreme Court, businesses like Monsanto can put a patent on their Frankenstein soybean. Thus happy being litigious and doing undercover investigations on farmers by Monsanto is ruthless and filled with signs of tyranny. Of course they have a whole PR machine on their site to discredit the film. Must be lovely to have no soul.
We left the movie angry, appalled and powerless.
Kevin's Law has been brought to Congress for over seven years by Barbara Kowalcyk.
Her son, Kevin, died in 2001 after eating a hamburger and suffering an E. coli O157:H7 infection and hemolytic uremic syndrome. The meat company never apologized for their tainted product.
Where is the outrage?
Why are we, as Americans so damn complacent when it comes to food?
Perhaps everyone needs to revisit Upton Sinclairs groundbreaking novel, The Jungle.
There are 13 slaughterhouses in the USA. This is for 300 million people. I find this horrifying, yet, people will grill burgers and hot dogs this weekend and I am almost certain, someone, somewhere will get sick. We should not need someone to die to enforce Food Safety laws or to demand better quality. Maybe we should hope it is a Senator's kid, then Kevin's Law will get passed in a day.
This whole experience has made me even more wary of government. Can't they even get the regulation of the nations food right? How can our Representatives sit there, daily, with lobbyists for these money machines, and protect them and help them and make them even more omnipresent?
One of the bright spots in the film was farmer, Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms. Check out their site to see how they respect the land, the animals (happiest pigs in whole film) and the planet. For Joel, it is all about how you should know your farmer and your community. Their principles should be mandatory. If I ate meat, I would drive to his farm in Virginia to buy it.
I am even more determined to garden, continue to support our friends who are farmers, and go to the Farmers Market. In some cases we will be paying more for our food, but at least I will know where it came from and how they grew it. You should be able to say the same thing.

Here is their site if you want more info: Food Inc
Find a farmer's market or a CSA near you: Local Harvest
Support the Humane Society
Educate yourself: Organic Consumers Association
Appreciate the Slow Food movement
Let's get Kevin's Law passed

Cheers!
MissFifi

Comments

  1. HEAR HEAR! Thank you so much for posting this! I can't see the movie. I'm already "the choir" and I know a lot about the food industry. The hubby and I officially declared "We're Going Vegan!" this weekend...Shake your bootie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…