Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rearranging, Montana and Security animals that can kick your ass

We are still getting settled into our apartment, putting things away and setting up furniture. Even though we are most likely moving by end of month or so, yes the inspection went well thank the baby Jesus, we still do not want to be surrounded by chaos.

I even got to bake scones tonight. Nothing better than baking and cooking with a gas oven. Pure heaven.

Living where we live now feeds the "country gal" in me. Growing up in a city and its surrounding urban suburbs was great, I loved it but now, I want a change. One thing I have always wanted was to own land in Montana. Like "Legends of the Fall" Montana. Of course, working land is not easy, but I have romanticized it as being this wide open space and me with my dogs and alpacas and other livestock. My husband embraces this insanity of mine, but only to a point. We have wanted to visit Glacier National Park because the pictures have are just breathtaking so I cannot imagine the effect it has on you in person. I am well aware that living there or anywhere is different than a vacation. The winters are brutal and it is, well, after all, Montana. We are pesco vegetarians, Montana is cattle country. You want a Nordstrom? Out of luck my dears. There is a Trader Joe's over an hour away north of Helena though! Plus with the Internet you want something, you got it. I know I will not be living there, but a girl can dream right??

To tie into this madness, I have always wanted Llamas or Alpacas or both. As a knitter this is a dream like no other, as a person who loves animals I have always found these 2 to be interesting as the Llama behaves like a watchdog.
They will trim your grass as they graze, but if a stranger approaches the property or if something or someone is threatening the alpacas, they will alert and protect. There is a terrific article in Mother Earth News about Natural Livestock Protection. Take a gander, it is extremely informative.

Cheers!
MissFifi

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miss Fifi, Thanks for your lovely comments about my home. Its in utter chaos at the moment!!! Im a city girl too, and its been quite a change for Mr Kitten and I to go from city life to the country life. Just like you we too would love some land. Your vision of dogs, alpacas and livestock sounds wonderful. I have wanted ducks for awhile, and maybe a pygmy goat, but with an excitable puppy it isnt going to happen.....but we can always dream X

    ReplyDelete