Skip to main content

Reading IS Fundamental


I remember that campaign from when I was a wee lass. Luckily, my parents loved to read and passed that passion on to me. So it is with a smile that I share with all of you the books I am currently reading. The library is where I go to get all my goodies, the reference desk is my second home, though I am sure the reference librarian is sick of ordering me books by now. I always like to have at least 3 in rotation, I now I have 5, oy! Here is my reading list:

The Uncommon Reader
by Alan Bennett
American Nerd: The Story of My People by Benjamin Nugent
unChristian:What a New Generation thinks of Christianity and Why it Really Matters by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons
The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest by Dan Buettner
The First Billion is the Hardest: Reflections on a Life of Comebacks and America's Energy Future by T. Boone Pickens

So why have I picked some of these?
First off, only The Uncommon Reader is a Novella, and it is very funny, the rest are all non-fiction and about topics that truly interest me. Let me tell you about unChristian and how it covers why there is a poor perception of Christians in America today. They are seen as self-righteous, anti-homosexual, sheltered, etc. It discusses how their behaviors have fueled the stereotypes that we have of most Christians. The authors talk about returning back to the true roots of Christianity, charity and compassion. I only just started it, but it is proving to be educational and enlightening so far.
For me, reading is a glorious gift. I can imagine I am Miss Bennett or get inside of the head of billionaire T Boone Pickens as he goes from Oil Man to Alternative Energy Advocate. How nerds have been around for centuries or why people in Sardinia live long, happy lives.
I like being transported by a writers words to a small hut in India, backpacking in Austria or to a dance club in West LA. To be introduced to characters I love as well as to characters I loathe.
When I meet folks who say "I never liked reading, it bores me." or "I only read magazines." I admit I feel sad for those who find it boring, but I will never condescend. Who does not love a good magazine?? Here are some of my faves: Coastal Living, Real Simple, Ready Made, Sunset.
On the right side of my blog I've listed some books I have read and loved, I may add to it or change them out every now and then. I am hoping some of you will share what you have read with me so I can pick up something new or discuss an oldie but a goodie.

Cheers! And happy reading,
MissFifi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

A Good Book Here, A Good Book There

Took a hiatus. Yeah, I am sure you all noticed. Been trying to get things moving along and with that I had to slack and so I slacked on the blog. Now allow me to share our little artificial tree that our son and his grandma decorated with glee.


In the last two months or so, I no longer bring my computer upstairs. Instead I have started to read at night. While this may not sound like any big deal, it is a little for me. I love to read, but due to school, home, obligations, and writing a novel, I somehow pushed reading an actual book to the side.  Like a lot of folks I got more caught up in the rabbit hole of the internet. Now, I do love getting sucked down various rabbit holes, but I also felt that I needed to actually unplug.
Allow me to sidebar a bit here.

I had been struggling with my book for a very long time. In the last 6 months or so it got worse. I had lost the true nature of the story and could no longer hear the character voice. I am not the first writer this has happened to…