Skip to main content

Job? Nope. Science? Sure. Having Fun? Always!

Great Quote of the day: Greek Philosopher Epicurus said: "Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;but remember that what you now have was once among the things only hoped for."

So, I did NOT get the job at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Which I am not horribly upset about, but I am concerned that with so many of us looking for jobs, God only knows what the winning qualifications are. I did ask for more than what they wanted to pay, which could have easily disqualified me, and when they told me the salary I was honestly fine with it. I bet they hired a less experienced person who was willing to take the salary without question, but this is the business world so I wish that person the best at their new job.
In the meantime, a friend of mine and I are brainstorming ways to get into NJ's hospital system as Certified Oncology Massage Therapists. (Memorial Sloan will not take us because we do not have NY Licensure, good times.)
Our health care system is in massive disarray, as most of you know, and when it comes to palliative care, which does not just apply to hospice, you can have an appendectomy and still get palliative treatment, the health care system (INSURANCE COMPANIES) have yet to see the financial benefit. Yes, proof of profit is what will make a hospital and insurance company okay something. I know it is a business, but honestly, whoever came up with this needs a punch in the face....So, we are going to undertake the task of wearing them down. Look out Blue Cross, I am coming to reform ya'!! I get my Public Health degree, takes bets on how long it will be before I am arrested on CSPAN. HA!

I use music when working in my sewing/writing/knitting world, here are just a few of my current favorites (not everything is new, I go back Waaaaaaaaaaay back sometimes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz40P1hFvWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRH807Zg8MQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8sg77XSfqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZCSuRRuS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGzB82bIZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfIvPQ8Dgo&feature=related

Random Fun stuff:
I need to get to FIT to see Gothic: Dark Glamour
http://www3.fitnyc.edu/museum/gothic/
How GREAT are these aprons?? http://www.practicallynecessary.com/
Hat heaven!! http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=45419

Cheers!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have made a painting for our living room where I sewed a dress onto a canvas. Now I need pages from a decadent book, get them on there and the piece will be complete. I will take a picture once it is done to share. It was a lot of fun to do and if I knew I could make money selling them, I would do more.

We have decided to forgo a built in bookcase in the living room. While I love the whole idea of some accent piece in the living room,I would rather it be the books and art work, not the bookcase/media center that would be holding it. So now we are looking at furniture similar to this console from Ballard Design. Just at a much better price.

This display from the blog Chic Provence makes me want to grow wisteria for the rest of my life and only dine under a fabulous pergola.

Theresa Burger, I love, love, love your resin rings.

Ahhh, one of my favorite all time songs by Dead Can Dance called Indus. It is sublime.

As a former jewelry designer who knew how to work as a metalsmith and with wa…

I AM ON A MISSION

And not necessarily a wise one. Human beings like to collect things. Whether it is comic books, Dr Who paraphernalia, baseball cards, guns or weird cat art, for some reason we have a need to hunt and gather. I am not very good at things like Ebay or Craigslist. I basically suck at bidding and I get lazy about checking every hour for the possibility that someone may have posted/listed something I want.

Until now.

Recently I have gotten a bee in my big ass bonnet to locate a great deal on the following furniture pieces.

Hoosier Cabinet

I want this awesome piece of furniture for my kitchen so I can eliminate most of my upper cabinets and have a place for flour to sift out of because that would make me so cool. Some are wood, some are retro metal, all that matters it is a multi-functional piece of art that would be amazing to own..

Pie Safe


I don't make pies and that is irrelevant to my desire for one of these.

Vintage Ice Box

Where would I even use this? I don't care. We can addres…

Irish pensioner living in a 280-year-old cottage with no modern conveniences

Irish pensioner who lives like we all used to back in the day. Good for her. Read here.

Sometimes it is best to disconnect. To get back to the land, to remove ourselves from the news, read a book, or just take a walk and be present.

Side note: I have to admit that running water and flush toilets are my most favorite inventions so camping is clearly out for me. :)

Have a great day.

Cheers!
MissFifi